The Association of Urban Municipalities of Slovenia (AUMS; ZMOS – Združenje mestnih občin Slovenije) is the only representative association of municipalities in Slovenia that exclusively represents the interests of 12 urban municipalities. Out of 212 municipalities, the 12 urban municipalities, all members of AUMS, cover more than a third of the population and act as regional urban centres, with a high concentration of economic, social, governmental and other public services.
Membership of AUMS consists of all 12 urban municipalities (36 % of population of Slovenia):
AUMS is the intermediate body for project selection in the integrated territorial investments (ITI) mechanism for sustainable urban development in Slovenia.
ITI mechanism in Slovenia provides EU and state funds for the implementation of sustainable urban development strategies, adopted by urban municipalities in 2015. The mechanism covers three priority axes of the Operational programme which include energy efficiency of public housing, sustainable mobility and urban regeneration.
AUMS is responsible for publishing calls for projects and project selection. An expert commission for the implementation of ITI was established, comprised of 11 experts from urban municipalities. Members of the expert commission evaluate project applications, mainly from the viewpoint of their consistency with sustainable urban development strategies of individual urban municipalities. Projects that meet the selection criteria are selected by the Assembly of mayors. Selected projects are then submitted to ministerial intermediate bodies for final approval.
A list of approved projects is published here (in Slovenian language).
AUMS pools the knowledge and expertise of the 12 largest municipal administrations in Slovenia and is as such a credible and reliable partner in international projects.
Main fields of interest for international partnerships include sustainable urban development, city revitalization, e-government, digitalization and smart cities, local self-government in general, inter-municipal cooperation etc.
For further information and inquiries about possible project partnerships, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of our relevant experiences include:
- Integrated Territorial Investments (ITI) 2014-2020 for sustainable urban development: AUMS is the the intermediary body for the selection of projects of sustainable urban development with theITI mechanism (urban authority). ITI provides urban municipalities in Slovenia with over 139 million EUR of grants for projects of sustainable mobility, energy efficiency of public buildings and urban regeneration and sustainable development. AUMS is in charge of publishing calls for projects, examination of applications (administrative and substantive) and for the selection of projects that may be funded (so-called 1st phase, projects are than reviewed by state ministries in the 2nd phase). The governance model of AUMS as the IB for ITI project selection is included as a best practice in the Handbook of Sustainable Urban Development Strategies (link, p. 97-98). AUMS’ representatives participated in various Urban Development Network’s events. As an IB, AUMS is a beneficiary of Technical Assistance funding.
- Monitoring Committee of the OP SLO 14-20: AUMS is a member of the Monitoring Committee of the Operational Programme for the Implementation of EU Cohesion Policy in the Period 2014-2020.
- Project HIGHER – Better Policy Instruments for High Innovation Projects in the European Regions: AUMS was a project partner in the HIGHER project in the period 2016-2021. The project addressed innovative models of public private partnerships suitable to mobilize investment in related smart specialization areas and fostering an entrepreneurial discovery process in driving innovation process of the policy instruments.
- Urban Agenda for the EU – Ljubljana Agreement: AUMS participated in the preparation of the Ljubljana Agreement on the future implementation of the Urban Agenda for the EU under the Slovenian presidency of the Council of the EU. The president of AUMS participated at the informal meeting of ministers responsible for urban matters on urban development and green measures (November 20221).
- Urban Forum: Since 2015, AUMS co-organizes the Slovenian Urban Forums in cooperation with the Ministry for the Environment and Spatial Planning of the Republic of Slovenia and GFS Institute. The event is an example of a multi-level approach and partnership principle on the national level as it brings together representatives of state institutions, urban and other municipalities, NGOs and business sector to further discussions on sustainable urban development and the role of cities in Slovenia and Europe.
- Support to member municipalities: AUMS provided coordinative support to its members in their successful application of the consortium to the 100 Intelligent Cities Challenge. AUMS provided coordinative support in the preparatory activities of 5 member municipalities in relation to the application to the EU Mission of climate-neutral and smart cities.
- Smart Cities Conference: AUMS was a co-organizer of the Slovenian Smart Cities Conferences (2019, 2021). AUMS is a member of the Strategic Research & Innovation Partnership for the Smart Cities and Communities topic, which was the main organizer of the conference.
AUMS international cooperation:
- Member of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR)
- Member of the Slovenian Business & Research Association (SBRA, Brussels)
- Partner to the Urban intergroup at the European Parliament
- Supporter of the Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy
- Appoints 2 members and 2 substitute members to the European Committee of Regions
- Appoints 1 member and 1 substitute member to the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe